Bitter leaf is an African herb that grows in most parts of sub-Saharan Africa. Bitter leaf is well known for its medicinal value. This herb has active anti-cancer, anti-bacteria, anti-malarial, and anti-parasitic agents. In one of our earlier articles, we discussed the importance of bitter leaves sexually. In today’s article we will be discussing its importance in reducing sugar levels.
Can Bitter Leaf Reduce Sugar Level?
Bitter leaf has certain mineral compositions that can be of great value. Bitter leaves are bitter due to anti-nutritional factors such as alkaloids, saponins, tannins, and glycosides. These factors can actually aid in reducing sugar levels. A blood sugar level of 126 mg/dL or higher is considered high. The normal blood sugar level should be around 100 mg/dL (5.6 mmol/L). It is important that we check our blood sugar level over time, as a blood sugar level below 70mg/dL is considered low.
High blood sugar and low blood sugar can actually be dangerous. Low blood sugar can cause damage to your central nervous system. Symptoms may include weakness, lightheadedness, and dizziness. Headaches can occur from a lack of glucose, especially if you have diabetes. You may also feel signs of stress, such as nervousness, anxiety, and irritability. On the other hand, high blood sugar levels can cause permanent damage to the nerves in your hands and feet (peripheral neuropathy) Permanent damage to your eyes and problems with your sight (diabetic retinopathy) life-threatening conditions such as diabetic ketoacidosis.
So basically, high blood sugar levels can cause diabetes, and there are two main types of diabetes: type 1 diabetes, in which the body does not produce insulin, and type 2 diabetes, in which the body produces insulin but it’s unable to use it effectively. Certain drugs and adapting to certain lifestyles have been effective in controlling diabetes.
There are foods or plants that can help reduce the risk of having high blood sugar and regulate blood sugar if you already have diabetes.
Bitter leaf is among those herbs that can actually reduce blood sugar levels. Yes, that’s correct. Drinking bitter leaf extract or eating the plant can be of great help.
Though there hasn’t been any scientific proof that bitter leaf can help reduce blood sugar, people have been taking this particular herb for years, and the results we’ve been observing are quite similar. Aside from bitter leaves, there are other plants that can help reduce high blood sugar levels. plants like cinnamon, aloe vera, bitter gourd, kale, spinach, sesame seeds.
We’ve learnt that bitter leaves can reduce blood sugar levels. That’s actually one of the many benefits of bitter leaf. Other benefits include,
- Bitter leaf helps to reduce the risk of having cancer.
- Bitter leaf helps to promote weight loss. How does this herb help to burn calories? Well, it has certain mineral constituents that can help to convert fat in the body.
- Bitter leaf can also improve your sleep quality.
- It has anti-malaria properties and can be used effectively in the treatment of fever and other underlying conditions that might have fever symptoms.
- Since it has anti-bacterial properties, it improves the texture of the skin and can help in the treatment of certain skin conditions like acne.
- Bitter leaves are a surprisingly efficient way of dealing with high blood pressure. They contain such substances as andrographolide, alkaloids, and potassium. The first one serves as a defense mechanism for our system, producing white blood cells and destroying harmful bacteria. Potassium helps cure high blood pressure by removing unneeded salts from our bodies.